- RELAIS DESSERTS
- Tasty confessions
- RELAIS DESSERTS CHARLES PROUST CONTEST
- GET DELIVERED
Let's take a look back at the progress of 2022, objective by objective.
Implementing feedback and consolidating REP
*As part of SO 1: monitor and consolidate the experimental participatory network (EPR) installed, we have:
- Replaced damaged plants (cocoa trees and associated crops).
1,750 cocoa trees and 1,200 associated plants were relocated to the plots in 2022.
- Measured indicators of growth and production, as well as and weekly routine production cost; all the plots in the network are now producing cocoa. This enables us to compare the yields of the different agroforestry models we tested.
- Strengthened the skills of the technical team, cooperatives and producers. We discussed in particular: the measurement of plant heights, grafting techniques, tree size, organic fertilizers and the preparation of Bioles, as well as support for the design of plantations using software for optimizing shade zones according to the species planted in association with cocoa trees.
*The advances of SO 2 (Strengthening knowledge and skills in agroforestry) have been particularly impressive this year.
The agroforestry models developed and tested by CACAO FOREST are not only interesting, the replication of REP is also gaining momentum with new partners:
- FUPAROCA: 18 plots (4.5ha) currently being installed in the Province of Hato Mayor with models N° 3 and 4
- IDIAF: creation of a complete replica of the initial REP on the experimental station of Mata Larga, 36 plots (9 ha)
- FINCA TIERRA NEGRA: 2 Cacao Forest agroforestry models will be replicated on 2 to 3 hectares of land.
*We have also implemented a wide range of actions as part of SO 3 (Promoting the marketing of cocoa-related products):
- Several workshops were organized with producers to present them with techniques for processing and valorizing the products of crops associated with cocoa trees: in particular ginger (powder, sweets), turmeric, annatto (powder), hibiscus flower (jam), sapodillos (barbecue sauce), orange blossom (tea)
See the article on the sapotille workshop here.
- The final products, powder and jam, were sold during the 2nd Dominican Chocolate Festival and met with great success among the public.
- We are testing the sale of hibiscus and annatto jam in partner cooperatives
*In order to achieve the objectives set by SO 4 (Contributing to a new vision of cocoa cultivation), we have mobilized the actors of the cocoa sector, private, public, institutions, academics, … in order to develop working and reflection groups on the culture of Dominican cocoa. A Local Monitoring Committee (LMC) was created.
The LMC met twice in 2022 (June and November). View the articles here and here.
- The Dominican Ministry of the Environment is involved in the working group on the national rehabilitation and renovation plan (PRACAO), in particular to propose a mechanism for the integration and exploitation of wood in Dominican cocoa SAFs.
- The National Cocoa Commission and the Dominican Ministry of Agriculture lead the PRACAO working group initiated by Cacao Forest, which provides technical support and scientific advice.
- Agreement signed between UNEV and Isara for the implementation of the diploma course.
Thus, the PRACAO project (Plan for Agroforestery Rehabilitation for Dominican Cocoa Growers) is in full deployment. 4 technical meetings have already taken place in 2022, to learn more (see here).
As for the last objective, SO5 (Communicating the achievements of the Cocoa Forest project), it was also achieved through the constant updating of the website, the creation of a dedicated site in the Dominican Republic (cacaoforest.do) but also through the publication of 2 new scientific articles and participation in international events.
To find out more about the progress: clic here
The Best Apprentice of France «Pastry» 2023 is Theo Levavasseur.
Congratulations to him and the 14 finalists who invested in this ambitious contest that Relais Desserts is proud to support.
Relais Desserts is the official partner of the Meilleurs Apprentis de France Pastry competition which will take place on March 13 at the CFA of Arras. We wish all candidates good luck!
The final of the Meilleurs Ouvriers de France Pastry event was held last week at the Lenôtre School. The candidates' buffets were magnificent and we look forward to the results.
La maison Zanin recrute pour son laboratoire de Sallanches un Second pâtissier en CDI – 39h. Toutes les informations ici !
La maison Ducobu, en Belgique, recrute sur différents postes. Toutes les informations ici.
Leave a Reply